Aside from tender love and care, which includes lots of rest, warm baths and a ton of water, here are a few of our favourite ways to stay on top of cold and flu season.
- GINGER: Soak it, steep it, cook it or freeze it. Ginger soothes digestive disturbances, alleviates nausea, reduces fever, calms coughing, stimulates the circulatory system and relieves aches and muscle pain. Use it fresh or dried, in teas or in home cooking to reap the benefits.
- LEMON: It boosts immunity, detoxifies the body, balances ph levels and is high in Vitamin C.
- RAW HONEY: Not only is it an anti-inflammatory but its also has anti-bacterial properties that can fight bacteria that cause colds. Honey helps soothe and heal sore throats and tastes mighty good when nothing else wants to go down.
- TURMERIC: Glory’s tiny but mighty turmeric ginger shot is a force to be reckoned with. An organic blend of turmeric, ginger, citrus black pepper and cayenne. Sip it, shoot it or add it to water. If the black pepper and cayenne doesn't wake you up the ginger and turmeric will. It's energizing, its an anti inflammatory and highly immune boosting.
- PROBIOTICS: Our immune system is in charge of defending our bodies against attack from harmful organisms. The good bacteria from probiotics help to strengthen immune health, which in turn fights against the common cold and flu. Good gut health = boosting the immune system = fewer colds.
HERBS: Fight any cough, fever, congestion, body ache and illness with fresh herbs. Rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano. Combined these herbs create a potent antiviral, anti bacterial, antimicrobial and a mean seasoning for meat or veggies. Add them to water to sip during the day, boil on the stove or use oils for their aromatic benefits.
Thyme to boost your immunity!
Article by Morgan, Certified I.I.N Health Coach and Igolu Leader, and current manager of Glory Juice Co. North Vancouver location opening soon.